Wednesday 28 January 2009

And it was all going swimmingly

Another one of the high points of our trip back to Northern Ireland last week was that we all got to go swimming in Coleraine Leisure Centre with Jamie's cousins Sebastian and Katie.

For Jamie, it was only actually the second time he'd ever been in a pool.

The first time, in Donegal last September, was a bit of a disaster. It was in an adult pool, it was cold and he really didn't have a lot of fun.

But on Saturday morning, it was an altogether more positive experience. We all went into the children's pool, it was warm and, most impressively, Jamie made a real effort to get into the spirit of the occasion.

The rest of us simply took it turns to put our hands under his chest whilst he let his arms and legs go at 16 to the dozen. After this success, Vanessa and I certainly don't intend to make him wait so long for his next dip.

Although Jamie was obviously too small to use them, Daddy was most excited at the prospect of trying out the two big water slides on offer.

I'm a bit of a sucker for a big water slide and have even been known, whilst on holiday, to elbow the odd child out of the way to get to the front of the line quicker.

Sebastian and I had several goes, taking it in turns to go on the "Black Hole" which was a lot faster than slide number two.

But after a while and although it was his turn to go on the "Black Hole," I thought it would be incredibly amusing to race Sebastian to the top of the stairs and try to get there before him.

That was until a particularly grumpy (and obese - sorry, I'm bitter) lifeguard shouted at me for running. Yes, in front of all the kids and the public gallery. Having no other option, I was forced to slow down to a walking pace, whimper an apology for my misdemeanour and quietly make my way up the steps with my head bowed.

Despite it being one of the most undignified and personally humiliating moments I can remember, Sebastian loved it and will no doubt wish to talk about the incident many times in the future. But surely that's what silly uncles - and daddies -are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment