Tuesday 20 January 2009

One small dribble for Jamie...


I've always been envious of my big sister Jacquie.

There are many reasons for this. But one is that, back in 1969, my mum bounced Jacquie on her knee on front of the telly as Neil Armstrong became the first man to set foot on the Moon.

I had to work today but, before leaving this morning, I got Vanessa to agree to bounce Jamie on her knee in front of our telly as Barack Obama took the oath to become the 44th President of the United States.

I made it home shortly before 7.30pm. Jamie was still up to play with Auntie Vicky who had come over for tea.

And for the next hour - along with Vanessa - we watched the end of the Inauguration Luncheon and the beginnings of the Inauguration Parade.

Later, whilst Vanessa was driving Vicky home and Jamie had gone to bed, I kept watching (I'm a little sad that way).

Goodness know what the next four or eight years, under President Obama, will bring for America and the world.

But, even if the Obama years prove to be a massive anti-climax, today is guaranteed to remain as one of those days in history where you'll always remember where you were and what you were doing.

Jamie was on his mummy's knee.

No comments:

Post a Comment