Friday 16 January 2009

There's no welcome on the mat


"Be careful what you wish for," is a phrase you sometimes hear. And I was reminded of it this evening when I came home from work.

Above you can see our street with the light on the left coming from our front door. And in the middle you can see our drainpipe.

About five or maybe six weeks ago, some nice local person let their family pet do a series of wotsits on the pavement at the foot of our drainpipe.

My first urge was simply to get a brush and sweep it up. But then I thought, if I leave it, I wonder how long it will take Leeds City Council to clear it away?

As a proud former road sweeper myself - six summers, man and boy - I thought it would be a week at most, that being in my experience the normal frequency for sweeping a main thoroughfare.

But a week came and went, then two, then three and so on. And, as of this morning, the shite remained on the floor (sorry if that shocked you but I call it as I see it).

I know this because I remember walking to my train after and thinking, I've had enough of this, I'm going to contact my councillor to see how often they sweep our street.

However, tonight, I came home and, not only had the Council removed the doggy do - but they had taken away our entire pavement.

Indeed, they even left us a new "doormat" - which you can see - in yellow plastic.

No doubt there will be a wonderful reason for doing all of this but, at the moment, I don't know what it is. Still, at least it looks a bit cleaner.

No comments:

Post a Comment