Wednesday 18 February 2009

Daddy cool?


Jamie is a lucky boy because tonight I feel like a bit of a "hip" dad.

Like no doubt many others, Vanessa and I have been watching the Brits and they were good although maybe not as good as I thought they'd be.

But more importantly, I knew all of the acts that performed (other than Estelle) and recognised the names of almost all of the nominees (Seasick Steve being one obvious exception).

This is a clear step forward for me because, over the last number of years, I've often felt completely out of touch with events on stage and generally switched over.

But before I get carried away, perhaps its time to reflect. Who stole the show? Yes, Duffy (pictured as gratuitously as I could find at this time of night) who - whilst young, cool and sexy - sings songs that could have easily fitted into the musical interlude of The Two Ronnies.

Who else did well? Elbow - ditto, and some of their number are well older than me.

And Coldplay - shortlisted in four categories - who, whilst all of their band members are younger than me, play music which sits very comfortably on Wake Up to Wogan.

Who else won? Iron Maiden, whose average age is about 93.

And who else performed? U2, who were getting big when I was in second year at Coleraine Inst. Take That, who all have about three kids each and wives who bake. And the Pet Shop Boys who give the impression that daytime TV plays a big part in their lives.

Let me put it this way, should these great rock stars of our age be staying in the same hotel, the maids won't have much tidying up to do in the morning.

So maybe the proper conclusion is that I haven't actually become hip - our musicians have become dull - allowing me to feel much more part of the scene (man). Yep, I think that's about right.

Before I go and in order to raise my spirits, I need to tell you this - Jamie and Vanessa are off to a rhubarb farm tomorrow. (Needless to say I've asked Mummy to pack our camera).

No comments:

Post a Comment