Sunday 1 February 2009

On your marks...

Until recently, Jamie has been quite a vocal young man without really making a lot of sense. Or, to put it another way, there's been plenty of sound coming out of his mouth but nothing you could really package up and describe as a "word." But that may have just changed. And the "word" I'm talking about is "dadda."

My mum first noticed this last week but she, like me, is clearly biased. He said it a lot yesterday, something I pointed out several times to Vanessa who generally responded with a roll of her eyes.

But, as I was changing his nappy shortly before 7 o'clock this morning, he looked me right in the eye, said it once and then shut up again. I'll keep you posted on this one.

Given that our son is clearly making rapid progress on the speaking side of his repertoire, I thought I would take advantage of a quiet day at home by seeing if I could teach him to crawl.

Up until now, he has rolled over and spun around but he hasn't yet made anything like definitive forward progress. And, after a couple of hours this afternoon of me demonstrating to him what to do by crawling myself, then grabbing Jamie's legs and simulating what to do, then crawling again myself and so on, all he has achieved thus far is two carpet burns to his forehead. But we'll keep at it.
I'll leave you with something completely different. Last night Vanessa and I watched the film Along Came Polly starring Ben Stiller and Jennifer Aniston. As you'll already know if you've seen it, the film is pretty terrible although Ben Stiller - who I love - still manages to raise the odd laugh along the way.

But there is a scene in it - very similar to a scene from one of my favourite-ever films, Dumb and Dumber - which made me think and even led to me having a conversation with my wife (I know).

Ben Stiller's character is on the loo with a "tummy upset" after having a violent reaction to spicy food. Without getting too coarse - and apologies if I fail in this objective - he runs out of toilet paper and has to improvise, if you know what I'm saying.

To cut a long story short, he ends up using a hand towel which he then tries to flush down the toilet, blocks the system and floods the house - I told you it wasn't exactly Oscar standard. However, I turned to Vanessa and asked what she would've done in that situation and her answer was magnificent - she would've used her own pants, before putting them into her handbag (who needs to talk about the recession when there are so many other subjects to choose from).

Sadly my answer was less impressive which, to be honest, was inexcusable given the fact that I'd spent many years thinking about what I would do after watching Dumber and Dumber: I would've washed the problem area using a running tap and, should no towel be available, resigned myself to half an hour with a wet rump. But having heard Vanessa's flash of inspiration, I now feel the need to reconsider my plan.

Anyway, as I say, something for you to ponder should fate choose to place you in such a situation at some point in the future.





No comments:

Post a Comment