Tuesday 17 February 2009

A masterly retort


I had a rare and unexpected treat this evening - Vanessa let me watch two and a half hours of live cricket on Sky Sports.

But rather than celebrate, I'll now almost certainly not sleep tonight. She clearly wants something doing. I do hope I find out what it is soon because I can't be expected to go to work every day yet not sleep for possibly weeks on end. It's all rather worrying.

Whilst I'm up, I might as well quickly mention a brief but very funny cricketing story mentioned on commentary this evening which I'd never previously heard.

It concerned the great West Indian batsman Sir Vivian Richards (pictured) who even the most passionate cricket hater has surely heard of. He was playing for his adopted English county Somerset in a game at Taunton and was, uncharacteristically for him, having some trouble getting bat on ball.

The bowler - Greg Thomas of Glamorgan - was feeling very pleased with his efforts and thought he'd try and rub it in after Richards missed again with another attempt at a shot.

Referring to the ball, Thomas shouted up the pitch to Sir Viv, "It's red, it's round and it weighs about five ounces."

Richards gave him a look but said nothing in response. Thomas smiled back, returned to his mark and ran in again to bowl the next ball - which Sir Viv savagely clubbed out of the ground and into a nearby river for six runs.

Richards stood still for a couple of seconds before sauntering slowly down the pitch towards Thomas. And without looking up, he whispered to the poor bowler, "You know what it looks like boy - go find it."

Fantastic.

Right, well I'm off to put the kettle on as my big sister's on the telly in 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment