Sunday 15 February 2009

Thumbs up from Nessie


I'm delighted to report that my much-hyped Valentine's Night cooking experiment seemed to go down well with t'wife. Indeed, the only person I almost killed was myself after drinking a little too much - I was nervous, alright?!

I started with mussels in white wine which was an experience. They call them "live mussels" But it was only last night that I discovered the reason for this - they are actually alive. Sometimes I'm very slow on the old uptake. Anyway, the book told me to tap the open ones and chuck any that didn't quickly close. I only had to bin two as the others, when I rapped on their walls, quickly shut up shop. It made me queasy but, hey ho, I ate them nonetheless.

The main event was Thai-spiced pork chops, oh yes. It was supposed to be Chinese-spiced pork chops but, in an inspired move, I used Thai seven-spice powder instead of the Chinese five-spice powder it said in the book but it seemed to work. I even did a bit of pak choi for Vanessa which I'd never heard of prior to Friday evening but now I know it's a Chinese vegetable.

I finished with lemon "posset" which seems to be a posh word for mousse. And again, it seemed to work although Vanessa did leave a bit saying it was "too much for a lady." It might've been but I was a little unsure why this fact would be relevant to her.

So, happy enough with my efforts. Perhaps I'll have another go when Jamie graduates or something like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment