Thursday 19 February 2009

Chinese Jamie


As I mentioned a couple of nights ago, our man Jamie's been a bit unsettled in recent times. I'll give you an example of how it's been.

On Tuesday we put him down after 7pm as normal, he stirred on a few occasions, his dummy was replaced and there were no great dramas. However, at some point after 2.30am, he decided to stir on a much larger scale.

This is not entirely unusual, but normally Vanessa or I stick his dummy back in, give him some Calpol if we think he's having teething pains or pick him up for a minute or two and he generally goes back down without too much difficulty. He then tends to stir again at around 5am and is much more difficult to send back to sleep, but that's another story.

However, on Tuesday night, I went in to find him as bright as a button, which is unusual as he's normally a bit fed up and grouchy before we seek to do our stuff. I put his dummy back in but he insisted on repeatedly spitting it back out - and smiling. He clearly wasn't in pain so I didn't give him Calpol. But I did pick him up, rock him, walk about, put him back down, pick him up again etc etc. None of these "tricks" worked - this boy was not for sleeping and, by now, almost three quarters of an hour had elapsed. I then attempted to leave him on his own - only for him to express his displeasure. So Mummy joined the party, tried all of her best moves for 20-odd minutes but fared no better.

By now, whilst he was looking tired, he was more determined than ever to stay awake. Conversely, Vanessa and I were absolutely wrecked and fading fast. In the end there was nothing else for it but to bring him into our bed, defeated yet again.

He eventually went to sleep about 20 minutes after that, only to wake me shortly after 7am by hitting me full whack between my eyes with his rattle.

That was two nights ago and last night wasn't much better.

As for tonight? Goodness only knows.

But, you know what? It's still incredibly good fun (but please don't tell him if you see him).

No comments:

Post a Comment