Sunday 10 January 2010

My name's Barry and I'm a serial killer

Here lies Jaws II.

And whilst I'm on the subject, here lies Jaws III.

Yes, as many wiser heads than me warned when the original (and still the best) Jaws headed off to meet his mousey maker on Wednesday afternoon, he did indeed invite some relatives over to ours. And, one by one, they are being carried out with their tails (what's left of them) very much between their legs.

We were made aware of their presence around lunchtime yesterday when Jaws II popped out to say hello to Vanessa whilst she was fattening Jamie up. I was upstairs at the time, and let's just say I was made aware of the situation very swiftly and at some volume.

And with this, "Operation Let's Deal With The B*stards Once And For All" was begun.

The first step was to take on board the advice of my work colleague Sally - who currently has some small-eared visitors of her own - by dropping pieces of cotton wool soaked in peppermint oil in the area in and around the kitchen cupboard where our little friends have been gathering. (Apparently they hate the smell of peppermint and it makes them want to leave - the mouse equivalent of someone farting at a party, I suppose).

I then reset the two traps under the sink - both of which had been sprung - and added another.

And finally, Jamie and I headed outside to see if we could discover how they had been getting in - Jamie taking his spade with him in case he was given the chance to batter one to death. Good boy.

And a little bit of careful investigation ....

...revealed a hole, circled in red...

...which I proceeded to cover up with an old piece of skirting board.

And with all of that done, it was time to wait.

I found Jaws II lying bedecked in his plastic collar of doom at around 10pm, and Jaws III, having carked it sometime in the wee small hours, was pronounced "dealt with" at around 9am this morning.

The responsible side of me obviously hopes this now brings an end to the matter. But the slightly bored side of me kind of hopes for a few more trophies.

Because every time I go and check under the sink to see what's there, I'm never sure what I'll find.

It's a bit like getting post.

1 comment:

  1. All life is sacred you evil murderer. No wait that was Vanessa. Oh well now there are two of you. I've been forced to type "barlics" to prove I'm not a spammer, which I think is a swear word on Father Ted?

    ReplyDelete