Monday 12 April 2010

And then there was light…

Isn’t it lovely?

Isn’t it, like, all bright and shining?

Yes, yes and yes, I think you’ll agree.

But what is it, exactly?

Well, it’s our big garden light.

And what makes it so special?

Answer: it’s that this particular light – or rather, the bulb in it which blew up - hasn’t worked since September 2008.

I did buy a new bulb a few days after the original incident but managed to wreck the screw which you had to remove to get at the old one. And since then, not just me,but also Jamie’s Grandads Mike and Derek have had a multitude of goes between us at trying to hacksaw through the screw. But all to no avail.

Until yesterday, that was, when I tried out a new hacksaw blade and BINGO! The light fell open.

I was all pleased for a good three minutes until I realised I had absolutely no idea where I’d put the replacement bulb for “safe-keeping” almost 20 months ago. And, an hour and a half later and despite summoning extra help from Vanessa (who had clearly hidden it deliberately), I was no further forward. In fact, I was a long way back and occasionally sweary.

But all’s well that ends well. I bought another new bulb at lunchtime today, eventually got it in after around half an hour tonight - suffering only one burnt hand. And, quite literally, I now have a new light in my life.

I hope you’re as pleased for me as I am for myself.

Bring on the dark nights!!!

Oh, hold on…

PS Have you spotted the random spanner clamped onto the top of the light? That's my attempt at "improvisation." Perhaps more on that another time

No comments:

Post a Comment