Thursday 22 April 2010

Song choice is all-important


We've all, no doubt, been to concerts where the band or singer in question hasn't played a particular song or songs we've come to hear, or finished on something a bit useless and sent us home a bit flat.

And we all, I hope, have also been to gigs where the act has ended on something magnificent and dispatched all patrons on a high.

Well, last night I attempted to finish my own personal gig with a crowd favourite. But unfortunately, I made the wrong call.

The "gig" in question was in Jamie's bedroom and the "crowd" was Jamie. The time? Bedtime.

Vanessa was out so I was attempting to put him down, but he wasn't for having it. So, I tried a tactic I've used before to very good effect; I burst into The Wild Rover.

The Wild Rover is one of the few songs I know from start to finish. And the reason it seems to work is that I think he reckons it a much better idea to be asleep than to listen to me singing it.

Last night, I was singing away and he was drifting off - but he hadn't quite gone.

It was at this point that I allowed myself to be swept away by the moment and made the wrong call.

Because rather than sing The Wild Rover a third time and get the result I was after, I launched into the Postman Pat theme song.

Suddenly, Lazarus arose.

The arms went in the air, the eyes opened, the huge smile appeared and the chant began:

"Hi-ya Pat Pat!!! Hi-ya Pat Pat!!! PAT!!! PAT!!! PAT!!!!!!!!"

Bugger.

I quickly went back to The Wild Rover, but the damage was done and it was a full half hour before I finally got him off to sleep.

Unsurprisingly, my intimate gig set list will return to my one "trademark" song from now on.

No comments:

Post a Comment