Sunday 13 June 2010

A heavy World Cup weight to bear

I wore the English quarter of my heart on my sleeve last night by joining Jamie and Vanessa in cheering on the mother country against the best soccerballers the US could offer.

There's no need to go into what happened, because you'll already know.

But, for me, it was certainly the first time I'd watched a World Cup Finals game whilst a not-yet-two-year-old boy perched on my knee and pointed out pictures in a book.

At least, given what happened in the second half in South Africa, I still had some reason to smile by the end.

However, my smile didn't stay in place for much longer after I made the grave error of staying on ITV1 to watch the much-hyped James Corden's World Cup Live. What a pile of **** that turned out to be.

It was obvious from about three seconds in that TV's man of the moment wanted this new show to be something akin to TFI Friday with balls. But sadly, all we had was the balls - and Simon Cowell.

Because there's obviously no passing bandwagon that old Cue Tip Head isn't prepared to board and then claim to be an expert on its cargo.

So, last night, we had Mogul Man winking and nodding and patronising his way through all things World Cup, whilst Mr Corden did all he could to climb up the Cowell innards in search of yet more TV exposure, assisted by his "sidekick" Abbey Clancy (how did she get that job?) doing much the same (only with much-shorter words).

Tonight's programme starts at 9.30pm with Peter Shilton, Boris Becker and Dizzee Rascal as the guests. If you fancy a quick Sunday evening personal confidence boost, I suggest you take a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment