Wednesday 3 November 2010

My kind of politician


Vanessa and I met in June 1997 when both employed as House of Commons staffers, me by the Ulster Unionists and Vanessa by Labour MP Barry Sheerman (pictured).

Barry was very good not just to her, but to us both, and we continue to see him from time to time.   

I also keep a close eye on what he's up to in Parliament, and an extract from the Official Report of yesterday's proceedings I've just stumbled across illustrates why.

It was Health Questions and, well, here is what the great man asked:
  
Mr Barry Sheerman (Huddersfield) (Lab/Co-op): Is it appropriate for my constituents in Huddersfield to be lectured about healthy living standards by a Minister who is out of condition, overweight and a chain smoker?

What a legend.

UPDATE: Since writing this, I've subsequently discovered that the minister to whom Barry directed his insult was a certain Simon Burns who, you might be interested to know, was once extremely rude and condescending to me in a House of Commons lift.  One could therefore suggest that what goes around becomes very round - or FAT - in the end.  So I take enormous pleasure in doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment