Tuesday 9 October 2012

Left, right, right, left


On the left is the box that holds our electricity meter, on the right is the box that holds our gas meter. 

And why am I (clearly) boring you with this?

Well, a few weeks ago Vanessa said that we'd been asked to do readings of both meters and send the figures to the respective suppliers.  Fair enough, the only problem was that I couldn't open either box.

I tried every tool I had in the garage, most recently on Sunday, and could shift neither triangular screw thingy. 

So yesterday I went to a DIY shore and asked if they had an implement to open a box guarded by a triangular screw thingy.  They said no.  I settled for a new set of pliers - to add to the other three sets I'd already tried out at home. 

Last night I attacked both of our triangular screw thingies with my new set of pliers, but could shift neither. 

I was then almost physically bowled over by a sudden shot of inspiration. 

Why didn't I try turning the triangular screw thingies from right to left rather than the more conventional (in my book) left to right?

So I did - and both doors flew open.

Sometimes my redoubtable genius impresses even me.