Wednesday 15 May 2013

All roads head North West


The small band of kindly individuals who have read my ramblings for the last five years (hello Mum) will know that it includes annual staging posts. And one of these is the North West 200 motorbike races, in which mad dog riders from across the world propel themselves at speeds in excess of 200mph around the streets of Coleraine, Portrush and Portstewart. 

As I tap these words into my phone, I'm on a train travelling much more sedately towards the famous Triangle circuit.  And I'm not afraid to admit that I'm embarrassingly excited.

After the second and final practice session, which is underway now, the roads will reopen briefly to enable the school kids to get home, before the barriers come back down for three races tonight.

And then we move on to Saturday for five more high-speed showdowns featuring the biggest names in this crazy sport.

You can watch all the action live on the BBC website or, alternatively, come back here and I'll tell you who wins.

Vroom, vroom, vroom (and repeat).