Tuesday 14 May 2013

Football? Crazy


Despite being a lifelong football fan, I have been quite unashamed in my attempts to push our Jamie towards the noble sport of rugby union.

The reasons are straightforward.

Even with the dawn of the professional era, rugby remains a game based on respect for the laws and one's opponents, good sportsmanship and camaraderie. 

Meanwhile, modern day football now increasingly centres on the intimidation of officials, playacting and personal abuse.  And I don't necessarily want my son to be adding the words ****, ****, ****** and ******* to his vocabulary just yet. Or John Terry.

But, at his insistence, Vanessa has enrolled him on a six-week football course to see if he enjoys it.  And I've bought him shin pads because that's the rule. 

I can only hope he's as good at the game as I was (if you know what I'm saying).