Tuesday 28 January 2014

Back in the black


I'm feeling mildly euphoric tonight.

I have a little rule, you see, by which I try not to pay more than £1 per can when buying a box of Guinness.

It's not that I'm tight (certainly in Yorkshire terms). It's just that I resent having to sometimes fork out a fiver more for 10 Guinness one day than I do on another. So when an offer's on, I leap. 

However, last weekend I was in a bit of a bind. I was down to my last two cans (I know) and there was no sign of any offers. I thought about it for a while and decided to break my rule and pay £17.99 for a box of 15. I wasn't happy, although I was very relieved to get them into the fridge.

But then, tonight, I was walking through Morrisons and thought it best to check what was happening on the Guinness aisle. There was a new offer on, and I could barely believe my eyes. 

£9 for 10 cans - plus a free glass. 

Let me say that again. That's £9 FOR 10 CANS PLUS A FREE GLASS!

You really have read that right. 

So, not only was my pound a can rule met with bells on, but I would also get a FREE GLASS!!!!! Quite magnificent. 

I bought two packs - that's 20 cans and TWO FREE GLASSES - and carried them on the 10 minute walk back home. I arrived at the back door with arms like Mr Tickle. 

But the pain was worth it. A good night's sleep tonight, and I might try to manage three packs tomorrow (including THREE FREE GLASSES).

Living the dream.