Thursday 23 January 2014

White light


I'm sure I'm not alone in having received some particularly "interesting" Christmas presents - almost a month ago now (really).

Chief amongst them was my head torch. 

To be fair, there was some method in Vanessa's (deepening) madness in buying me one.

I have to walk down an alley ("ginnel" in Yorkshire parlance) to get to our house from Guiseley train station, and it's pitch black on the way home at this time of year. As a result, I have a tendency to wade through unseen muddy puddles/dog poo, forcing me to swear loudly when I finally get back to base and find the damage inflicted on my clobber.

Vanessa thought a head torch would help me to spot the trouble spots before I covered my feet (and subsequently her carpets) in their hidden contents. 

The only thing is, it could be argued that it might make me look a bit silly. 

I road-tested it on Jamie's napper as we walked back from his swimming class the other night. 

And whilst, yes, it was surprisingly effective as a guiding light, even he admitted to feeling a tad self conscious.

I've therefore come up with a compromise.

Until winter's end and the arrival of the longer evenings, I have decided that I will indeed wear my new head torch as I traverse along said dark alley. 

But my new look will be complemented by a big pair of sunglasses, just in case there's anyone around that I know. 

I think it's a great idea. Unless, of course, I've missed something.