Monday 6 January 2014

It's Balls out for Wee Oliver


It's been another successful 24 hours for the Help Wee Oliver Walk campaign, with the total now having surpassed £2,500.  It is genuinely a wonderful effort from a heck of a lot of people, although there is still a very long way to go.

The appeal has also had its first piece of media coverage, courtesy of the Belfast Newsletter with much more upcoming in the days ahead.

And the celebrity retweets have continued to flood in.  The latest well-known names to have shown their support include Olympic medal-winning rower and all-round Coleraine man Alan Campbell, British and Irish Lions rugby star George North alongside the world's leading referee Nigel Owens, Aussie-based Portstewart funnyman Jimeoin, Hollyoaks actress Carley Stenson, motorcycle road racing's "Wee Wizard" Alastair Seeley and chick lit author Louise Bagshawe turned Sun on Sunday columnist (and ex-MP) Louise Mensch.

But the retweet which has most tickled my fancy thus far came this afternoon.  Vanessa and I belatedly watched the Not Going Out Christmas Special last night in which Bobby Ball featured as Lee Mack's dad.

Now, I like Bobby Ball.  Back in the day, I had a pair of "Rock on Tommy" branded red braces (really) and I just find him funny.  His recent roles in Not Going Out, Sky 1's Mount Pleasant and one or two other one-off shows have brought him back to public attention.  Plus, I've seen him interviewed and he seems like a genuinely nice bloke - that'll do for me, cocker.

However, key to my thinking as I lay in bed last night was that his surname is Ball.  So I asked him for a retweet, which he generously delivered.

Because, in the wake of namesake Zoe's kindness over the weekend, we can now categorically state that the Balls have come out for Wee Oliver.

(Just to see how far I can take this, I have since tweeted warbler/sometime DJ Michael Ball to ask for his support - but apparently he doesn't do replies).