Tuesday 14 April 2009

Easter Tuesday

Back where I come from, today is known as Easter Tuesday. But it wasn't until I first came to live on this side of the water as a student that I discovered "Easter Tuesday" doesn't exist here.

Like the 12th of July, I have always had trouble dealing with this fact and have resented going to work. So today, for the very first time, I have taken it off as leave. And just as well as it's turned out for last night was possibly the worst night Vanessa and I have had with Jamie since he was born.

He's got yet another cold including a particularly heavy cough which has made it hard for him to sleep. So much so that, last night, it was close on 4am before he, Vanessa and I got our heads down. It was awful.

The more he coughed, the more tired and distressed he became and on and on it went. We dug out his inhaler once again - his "love" for his inhaler mirrors mine for Gordon Brown - pumped him full of Tixilix, Calpol, Ibuprofen, milk and water, and we rocked and sung. All to little good.

He woke again about 6.30 for his bottle and then the three of us dozed on and off until after 9 before stirring. Almost predictably, Jamie now seems quite chipper but Vanessa and I are destroyed. As I say, thank goodness I'm off and here's hoping for a better night tonight.

On a happier note, yesterday we had a family trip to Kirkstall Abbey in Leeds which included a return ride on a mini-train. Jamie had a ball, as did I when I spotted the jobsworth lady conductor who insisted on waving her green flag before the driver could set off. There was only one train on the go, the line was only about 300m metres long but she had to have her moment. And why not.

No comments:

Post a Comment