Tuesday 21 April 2009

Following an impossible act


Today the British and Irish Lions rugby squad to tour South Africa this summer was announced.

Coincidentally, 20 years ago this month, I was a member of the Coleraine Inst 1st XV squad on tour in Japan, the first Irish school to play rugby in that country. Our captain was Paul McBride, son of the legendary Willie John McBride (left), arguably the greatest of Lions skipper them all.

As such, it wasn't easy for Paul or "Plug" as he was universally known to his teammates. There was media interest in his progress from an early age and, whilst he did go on to follow in his father's footsteps by playing senior league rugby for Ballymena, he didn't quite reach the lofty heights scaled by his dad - which was hardly surprising.

Meanwhile, last night, whilst I was waiting for Vanessa to arrive home from her baby group drinking session, I managed a very special achievement of my own.

It's taken me 18 months but I finally did it. Yes folks, I successfully changed the fused light bulb in our fridge.

Like poor Paul McBride, Jamie White will have to go some to live up to the feats of his father too.

1 comment:

  1. Like your blog, I,am trying to set one up with a lot of trouble...it,s all new to me just thought I would drop you a line.

    ReplyDelete