Friday 24 April 2009

Respect to Yorkshire Man


You can only imagine my surprise (and amusement) a few weeks ago when I received an e-mail from my friend Dan inviting me to attend tonight's official launch of "Yorkshire Man."

What could it be?

A Yorkshire-themed Mr Universe competition (although perhaps a little less camp than the real thing)?

Was it a doll which looked like Fred Trueman?

Maybe a cartoon character with a flat cap and a sheep under each arm?

Or was a new movement being set up to support and protect local men from that other equally scary species which roams the moors, the dales and the nightclubs in this part of the world - "Yorkshire Woman."

Sadly in many ways, I was wrong on all counts. Instead, "Yorkshire Man" is, according to the invitation, "a straightforward, straight-talking guide on men’s health, which reflects men’s views about what sort of information they want and how it should be presented." So there. And I'm sure it's a very good idea.

However, even more excitingly, tonight's launch is being held at Headingley Carnegie Stadium, drinks and a three-course meal will be provided and, following no doubt a couple of speeches, all guests will then be ushered to the posh seats to watch the Leeds Rhinos take on Harlequins in Super League XIV.

Yorkshire Man - I salute you!

No comments:

Post a Comment