Saturday 11 April 2009

The sights and sounds of Sesame Tree


I've written before about how much I regret the likelihood that Jamie will grow up with an English accent. It's nothing against any of my English friends (or wife, for that matter) but, as a proud Ulsterman, it just doesn't seem right.

That is why I haven't yet given up the ghost. For example, my boy and I have regular, clandestine "Learn Till Speak Norn Iron" classes (with me playing the role of teacher) and BBC Northern Ireland programmes regularly blare out from our telly. But yesterday I stumbled across another very useful vehicle on which to force feed him Ulster accents and, what's more, it's on his favourite TV channel, CBeebies.

Produced in association with the original Sesame Workshop in America, Sesame Tree is made primarily in the Province and follows the lives of Potto - a friendly monster who lives in a tree - and his friend Hilda the Hare, both of whom speak in thick, Belfast drawls. You can see them both pictured above with another local Muppet called Martin who comes from Londonderry, so he does, hi. Martin used to be in the IRA but is now Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland.

Also featured in the episode we saw yesterday afternoon were three "Weatherberries" from - according to my ears - Belfast, Portadown and Ballymena. It was one of the most surreal pieces of television I've seen for a long time, particularly when, in a short film, we went to watch six-year-old Brian lead a Loyalist accordion band in a march through the streets of Banbridge. Goodness knows what they make of all this in the Home Counties of England.

In fact, I asked Vanessa that very question who suggested the reaction might be something along the lines of: "What is that strange Scottish tongue these people are trying to communicate in?" Quite.

Jamie seemed to enjoy the whole thing although, realistically, it was probably the colours rather than the accents that captured his attention.

But, rest assured, I'll keep working on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment