Wednesday 22 April 2009

Telly wars

One of the things you're repeatedly told as a new parent is not to allow your kid to watch too much TV. But equally, what many experienced parents tell new parents is, "you'll quickly get to the stage where you'll do almost anything to keep them quiet for half an hour."

I think both pieces of advice are valid.

In common with Vanessa, I certainly don't intend to allow Jamie to become a little boy who cares more about computer games and television programmes than he does about running around and being healthy. But, when he's jumping on your head at 7 o'clock in the morning and is bored of things to rattle, I don't see anything wrong with distracting him for half an hour by sticking the telly on.

And there is another element of my television strategy which I have been slowly bringing into play, namely trying to get him used to sport being on telly. Yes, I would rather he was playing it himself than watching it in an armchair. But by watching high quality sport on television, according to my thinking, surely he'll pick up some tips (ahem). And, OK, there's also the small fact that if I can get him used to it at an early stage, then maybe when he gets older he'll not insist on turning over the channel to see his own programme.

However, in recent days a major crack has appeared in my devious plan - Jamie already appears to have mastered the art of using a remote control. For example, last weekend I was watching my beloved Boston Red Sox take on the Baltimore Oriels on ESPN America. He grabbed the control. I took it off him. He cried. I gave it back. He turned the telly off. I took the remote control off him. He cried. I gave it back. He changed the channel. I took the remote control off him. He cried. I gave it back. He turned the telly off again.

It was really was bizarre and I wasn't annoyed - just impressed by the skills of my boy.

Vanessa and I have since tried to palm him off with an old stereo remote control that doesn't work but, I'm afraid, it didn't take long before he saw right through our scam and demanded the real control back.

We'll have to see what the next few days and weeks bring but, somewhat sooner than expected, the White house telly wars have begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment