Thursday 16 July 2009

Ermm...Quack?

Our son has developed a rather endearing little habit over the last week or so - he says "quack" a lot. Indeed, one could argue that "quack" is his first real word. (Alternatively, one might consider making a case that "quack" is a sound rather than a word, but I've decided against being pedantic with myself on a Thursday evening.)

Jamie's quack habit (I thank you) has not happened by accident and is actually the result of a lot of hard work by his mother - who has been singing the kids' song "Five Little Ducks" to him for months now - and his bath toys which basically comprise a load of ducks.

The first time his new trick really came to my attention was early last Saturday morning in Cardiff when I got up with him, switched on John's telly and that bloke with the large forehead from CBeebies was singing "Five Little Ducks" with some schoolkids. Jamie suddenly became unstoppable and every time Big Head sang the line, "Mother Duck said quack, quack, quack, quack," not only did Jamie quack himself but his little hands opened and closed too - like Mother Duck's mouth. A very proud moment.

All went swimmingly (are you having that one?) until I took him to nursery yesterday morning and, before dropping him off, was asked by one of the girls what he was "into" at the moment. It was not an easy question to answer, given that he's only just turned one. I mean, what can you say? "24" was out of the question, as it's on too late and he's never seen it. He's too young to drink fine wines. And he's not walking yet, never mind running, so football was also not a option.

"Ducks," I therefore announced. "He likes ducks. He can say quack and make his hands move like Mother Duck's mouth. Ducks." And then I left.

I returned some nine hours later to pick him and asked how things had gone.

"You're right about the ducks," said the nursery girl.

"We got a duck book out and he quacked the whole way through it."

Excellent, thought I. Our boy truly has talent.

"Then we got a dinosaur book out - and he quacked the whole way through that too."

"Oh."

In the wake of this, I had a little bit of extra time to kill with Jamie tonight before his bath time so I decided to conduct a quick experiment with a handful of little animal finger puppets which our friends Fran and Matt bought him for his birthday.

I put a lion on my index finger first, made a loud roaring sound and waited for his reaction..."QUACK!"

Then a frog, accompanied by a big Daddy "gribbet"..."QUACK!" went Jamie.

I know, thought I, an elephant - he's seen loads of elephants on TV. He must know what sound they make. But whilst my elephant impression may have sounded a touch lionesque in quality, I think it made little difference..."QUACK!" bellowed Jamie. And on it went.

After seven successive failures, I stuck on the end of "In The Night Garden" so we could hopefully finish the evening on a different note (so to speak). But, at the first sign of Iggle Piggle? "QUACK!"

Jamie's already been through many quirky little phases in his short life thus far, but this one really has the potential to drive me......NUTS. (Come on! Who do you think I am? Cliche Man?!)

1 comment:

  1. Come on Barry - how could you resist it? There was the golden opportunity for your piece de resistance! I'd say you were DUCKING your obligations to your blog readers! Your last sentence should surely have read -

    Jamie's already been through many quirky little phases in his short life thus far, but this one really has the potential to drive me......QUACKERS!

    ReplyDelete