Saturday 4 July 2009

Like Simon Cowell like son

We're not long back from a very fun afternoon visiting our friends the Sherrards in North Yorkshire. And they're no ordinary family.

They live in Topcliffe barracks where my old school friend Dave serves as a Major in the Royal Artillery. His wife Hayley is one of life's most interesting of people with a glint never far from her eye. And their two boys have clearly been brought up as opposed to dragged up. Huw (top centre) is also my Godson and, whilst I got off to a particularly slow start, I hope I'm slowly becoming better in my role. His very close relationship with his younger brother Niall (nearest the camera) is a joy to behold.

Our afternoon of entertainment was very much the result of a combined effort on their part. At lunch, Dave did the meat element of the barbecue with Hayley providing the trimmings. Beforehand, Huw and Niall invited Jamie onto their trampoline and looked after him wonderfully (they also let me have a couple of goes, for which I was very grateful - and sweaty).

And after lunch, Hayley took Vanessa and Jamie out for a push whilst the boys watched the Lions finally stuff the Springboks in the Third Test. My glass was never empty and for that I have Dave to thank (hic!)

All very pleasant and we're already looking forward to the next time.

However, just a quick footnote on the day. It is apparent that both Dave and Jamie possess a striking similarity to Simon Cowell - albeit for different reasons.

Jamie's likeness is because, like the so-called pop Svengali, he too has a pair of moobs.

And as for Dave. Well, check out that waist band...

No comments:

Post a Comment