Saturday 18 July 2009

Sport Jamie?

One of several nicknames I had at school (few of them complimentary) was "Sport Barry," given to me by a very nice chap named Ian Dalzell (pictured below) who, ironically, is now a successful golf professional based in the United States. And I continue to be as obsessed with sport now as I was back then.

To illustrate, I didn't manage to update the site yesterday as I had to rush straight from a day's work in Bradford to The Sports Cafe in Leeds to watch the Ashes and then on to Headingley to witness the Leeds Rhinos in action.

Needless to say I had my little personal radio with me so I could keep my ear on the cricket whilst bussing it from Pudsey to Leeds.

And then, this morning, I was up early to see the All Blacks pip Australia in the rugby union Tri-Nations, before a quick dash to Asda with Jamie and back in time for the first ball of the day at Lord's.

I'm only writing this now because the players are having lunch, but I'll be back downstairs by 1.40pm when England are due to continue piling misery on the convicts for another couple of hours. Tea is scheduled from 3.40-4pm so I might stick my head out of the window then to get some air.

And, of course, today is also day three of The Open Golf Championship at Turnberry - another of the great spectacles of the British sporting summer. I haven't watched much of it so far but I know what's going on and will certainly be following the final holes very closely tomorrow afternoon.

Have I ever feared that Jamie might not like sport when he gets a bit older?

Yes I have.

And does it worry me?

Yes, very much so.

But it couldn't really happen, could it? Could it?!

Nah!

No comments:

Post a Comment