Wednesday 22 July 2009

Super Soaraway Son

I mentioned that yesterday was a bizarre day and it was. Or, to be more precise, it got off to a very bizarre start.

I dropped Jamie off at nursery as normal on a Tuesday and went to work. But, an hour later, I was home. I had only been at my desk for about 10 minutes when Vanessa rang; the nursery had just been on to her to report that Jamie had a very high temperature and they couldn't rule out the possibility of it being related to Swine Flu.

I told the girls in my office who quickly ushered me out of the door with the instruction that I worked from home for the next couple of days at least - which is what I've done.

But the important news is that Jamie's temperature dropped over the course of yesterday morning and, other than being a bit more tetchy than normal, he's been fine and showing no further signs of the piggy plague since then.

It may well be that his little moment was triggered by the seemingly imminent arrival of four - yes, four - new teeth. Gary, Mark, Howard and Jason have been making their way through his top gum for several weeks and hopefully they'll take their bow very soon.

Meanwhile, I have been productive during my two days of exile from Bradford but, well, it's only natural that I've wavered a little bit every now and then.

During one particularly weak moment yesterday afternoon, I decided to enter Jamie for The Sun's bonny baby competition, imaginatively entitled "Sunbeams" (I hope you can see what they did there).

The competition winner gets a child modelling contract with a top agency in that London, together with £1,000 of Matalan vouchers.

The picture above is Jamie's entry and you can even see how it looks on The Sun website by clicking onto http://sunbeams.thesun.co.uk/ and entering Jamie White.

Voting hasn't opened yet but, when it does, Sun readers will be asked to choose the top 100 babies online, the field will then be whittled down to 30 by a group of "independent judges" including a "model scout" and "The Sun's Royal photographer Arthur Edwards." And then Sun readers will get the chance to pick their overall winner in a (no doubt extortionately priced) phone vote.

Clearly, we are not getting our hopes up for Jamie's ultimate success at this stage, although he has already won a raffle in his own right and how many other one-year-olds you know can say that? (In fact, not even he can say that yet - just "quack.") But, come on, what a laugh!

Needless to say you will be advised (more than once) on when you can start to "Click For Jamie" - I think it's towards the end of August.

But before I go, I have to say there is one aspect of this competition which baffles me.

How is anyone meant to spend £1,000 - that's £100 x 10 - in Matalan?!

I reckon even David Blaine would have trouble pulling off that particular trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment