Sunday 5 July 2009

Yorkshire Ripper

For the first time I can genuinely think of, our son has been a very naughty Jamie - very naughty indeed.

It's only really been in recent weeks that he's begun to show signs of knowing the genuine difference between right and wrong.

Take our DVD player, for example. He has now learnt how to turn it on which is not helpful as it overrides our Sky and so we have to get straight up and turn it back off again.

For this reason, Vanessa and I have taken to yelling "NO!" at him whenever he goes anywhere near it, leading him to immediately stop in his tracks...before continuing his journey to turn it on anyway. Still, it's very much a work in progress.

However, this morning's misdemeanour was much more serious: as you can see above, he ripped a chunk of the border off his bedroom wall.

I'm not a natural decorator and it took me ages to do that last year so I wasn't too pleased, and Vanessa was even less so.

I've since covered up the damage with a big mirror and a pillow - I like to improvise when I can - and I think it can be patched up (badly, if I'm doing it). But that will only be good enough until he tries it again.

Crucially, he clearly knew he had done wrong and was rather sheepish for a good hour afterwards (as his mother and I sought to ignore him) but I hope it's not the beginning of a new wicked streak in his character.

But you cannot leave these things to chance so I've already made clear to him that, next time he steps out of line, I will definitely be getting the police involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment