Tuesday 28 July 2009

Tweet talk


The more eagle-eyed amongst you may have noticed that, in recent days, I've signed up to Twitter - check out the top-right hand corner of this blog if you don't believe me.

Yes folks, from now on, you can follow my each and every move. But the thing is, why would anyone in their right mind want to do such a thing? Indeed, for that matter, I don't think I have a particular wish to follow the movements of anyone else.

So why did I sign up?

The truth is that I was a little bit curious (and - at the time - very, very bored).

Curious because Twitter is what all the trendy media and showbiz types seem to be signing up to at the moment, so I wanted to know what all the fuss was about. Although now I'm fully registered, I still don't believe I have the answer.

Unlike Facebook which allows you to do all sorts of things and has put me back in touch with all kinds of friends and associates from my dim and distant past, Twitter seems to be rather one-dimensional.

To be fair, it doesn't pretend to be anything else. To illustrate, the answer to it's self-posed question, "What Is Twitter?" (which you can find on its home page), is as follows:

"Twitter is a service for friends, family, and co–workers to communicate and stay connected through the exchange of quick, frequent answers to one simple question: What are you doing?"

And it does exactly what it says on the tin. But this returns me to my own original question - why would anyone want to know, at least in my case?

I only have six followers thus far so I think the answer is fairly obvious i.e. they don't. However, time might well prove me wrong.

Yes, in a matter of days or perhaps weeks from now, I could be a cult.

And that would be a subtle but significant improvement on how I've been regarded for most of my adult life.

No comments:

Post a Comment