Sunday 6 September 2009

Blue is the colour (I think)


I went for a five mile run this morning - half the distance of the Bradford City Run in six weeks' time - and am pleased to report that my dodgy leg remains attached to the rest of me. So, I'll keep at it.

Meanwhile, I'm leaving shortly to begin my new hobby as number one supporter of Leeds Carnegie Rugby Union Football Club.

One of my great gripes since moving to Yorkshire is the lack of top class sport I get to see. I'm a proud member of Yorkshire County Cricket Club but they only seem to play at Headingley about twice a year these days, and normally on a Thursday when I'm tasked to earn a living.

Yes, the Leeds Rhinos are the best rugby league side in the country but, try as I have done on countless occasions, it's just not a game that excites me.

Leeds United's difficulties are well-documented and, even if they do finally get promoted this season, I still don't find Elland Road the most pleasant place to watch a match.

I would go and watch some ice hockey if Leeds had a team but they don't and even when the new superduper arena is built, there are no plans to have one (which seems like a waste to me).

However, all is not lost for today at 3pm, Leeds Carnegie take their latest bow in the Guinness Premiership. They have been here before but been relegated after one or, at most, two seasons. But this year there appear to be several teams no better nor worse than them so it could get interesting.

My good friend John McIlroy - originally from Belfast but now living in Horsforth - has agreed to be my game buddy for the entire season but is in Scotland today, plus I'm away for the next home match. But, by game three at Headingley, we'll be proper regulars.

Indeed, by then, I may even be the proud owner of a Leeds Carnegie shirt - I think it's blue.

2 comments:

  1. Barry,

    You are more than welcome to join us at Wagon Lane, on a Saturday to watch some grass roots rugby (www.bradfordandbingleyrfc.co.uk).

    Rach xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel

    I'd love to do that, seriously - maybe get Paul Gaile involved too.

    I'll be in touch!

    B

    ReplyDelete