Monday 21 September 2009

There´s one everywhere you go


Just over a day to go now on the Whites´first foreign holiday - just as we were getting settled into it.

And I have to say, Jamie has been something of a revelation. He´s only been walking a relatively short while and still hasn´t quite perfected the art. But we´ve let him off the leash a lot on this trip and his response has at times been absolutely hilarious.

To cut to the quick, he´s essentially become a social prostitute - I can´t think of a better way to put it.

He´s run up to almost everybody he sees - generally falling over en route - to say "hiya," to smile, to shout, to show them his toy car or, in the case of a little Geordie girl called Eva, for a kiss. Because, yes, he´s has had his first holiday romance. I´ll say no more about that now as you really need to see the pictures and I can´t upload them from here but, trust me, they are worth waiting a couple of days for.

However, my absolute favourite moment of the jaunt thus far was on Saturday evening when he met what I can only describe as "Spanish Jamie."

A little boy was being carried down the main street past all the restaurants where everyone was having dinner. Jamie had finished his and, as has been his wont, was running around entertaining himself and as many others as he could manage (the people here have been very good).

He spotted this aforementioned mini-amigo looking over his mum´s shoulder and began to shout at him. Jamie wasn´t coming out with words of any particular description, just sounds. And then the little Spanish boy reacted, shouting loudly back at him in his own tongue.

So Jamie took off down the street, arms in the air, bellowing at his new foreign chum - who bellowed back just as loudly at our boy. The whole thing went on for about a minute, the Spanish boy continuing to be on the move and Jamie continuing to run after him like Freddie Flintoff appealing for a catch. Diners from both sides of the street stopped what they were doing to watch the show unfold. And I had tears in my eyes because I was laughing so much.

In the end Vanessa had to go after him as I couldn´t physically move.

It reminded me of an episode of Rab C Nesbitt when Rab went to Spain and stumbled across his Spanish counterpart. If you haven´t seen it or even if you have and want to see it again, click on to this link and start watching at two minutes 30 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Mahftz_P0 It still cracks me up.

We´ve spent this morning out and about on bikes - Jamie riding on a seat on the back of my two-wheeled version of a jalopy. There will be more of that this afternoon, a last supper tonight and the packing for home starts in the morning.

Delays permitting I´ll try to put some pics up on our arrival home tomorrow night.

But as for now, we´re off to make the best of what´s left (including two bottles of wine and five beers).

No comments:

Post a Comment