Thursday 24 September 2009

Happy Arthur's Day!

Today is the day when we all get to celebrate 250 years since the birth of the world's most famous stout - Guinness.

Arthur Guinness signed his first lease on the Dublin brewery exactly two and a half centuries ago and, never one to miss out on an opportunity, the company is promoting a host of festivities across the planet beginning at exactly 1759 BST this evening.

The highlight is set to be the beaming of a live concert from Guinness HQ into tens of thousands of pubs across a hundred-plus countries. My friend Ben and I will be in O'Neill's in Leeds - and I've even managed to secure vouchers to cover our first two rounds (always thinking, me).

Yes, it's a commercial stunt but, hey, how much encouragement do you think I need to go out, put on a silly hat and drink pints of Guinness for several hours on a Thursday night? Right first time - not much at all.

I trust you too have a very pleasurable Arthur's Day and I hope you also intend to raise a glass to a great man (not that I know anything about him other than what I've just told you, but he invented Guinness and that makes him extremely special in my alcohol-stained book).

Sláinte!

No comments:

Post a Comment