Sunday 27 September 2009

The boys are back in town

Bit of a frustrating old day yesterday.

Against all the odds, I did get off my wotsit to visit the local cycle shop in search of a child seat. Unfortunately, the bloke gave me a quote of well over £100 to which I responded that it was a child seat I was after and not a leather armchair. He didn't see the funny side so I said I would go elsewhere - Internet here I come.

As predicted, there was a puncture when I tried to blow up our bike tyres although on Vanessa's bike rather than mine. So, whilst in the shop, I bought a new tube and guess what? It also had a hole in it. Great.

And do you remember the stair gates I had to buy extensions for about a month ago. Well, given that I was on a "roll" yesterday (ahem), I thought I would finally turn my attention to fitting the extensions and putting up the gates. And, again, guess what? That's right - the extensions don't fit.

Is it any wonder I ****ing hate doing DIY? Grrrrr!!!!!

Much more happily, Vanessa, Jamie and I are preparing to greet some extremely special guests at lunchtime today. My very good friend Graham, his wife Hayley and their little boy Cleve emigrated to Australia four years ago - much to my displeasure. They haven't been back to the UK since, during which time their number has increased with the arrival of a lovely little girl named Nell.

However, today Graham and Cleve are visiting Yorkshire and will stay with us until Tuesday.

Graham, pictured beside me above, was an usher at our wedding in 2005 and even sang a couple of "contemporary" numbers in the church - attracting well-deserved claps, cheers and even whistles in response (our wedding was quite lively). I am also one of Cleve's four proud lifelong mentors following his civil naming ceremony in Bradford the same year.

Needless to say we can't wait to see them. And then we're taking them to the pub.

No comments:

Post a Comment