Friday 25 September 2009

Planning an uphill task

I'm a great one for making big plans - and not quite getting round to fulfilling any of them.

To be fair, I have got better as I've got older. But, like most men, I'm not perfect and am happy to admit it. (You'll note I have made no reference to women in this regard).

Friday afternoon is, of course, the time to make your weekend plans and so today I've come up with a biggie. For tomorrow, my friends, I "plan" to get a child seat fitted onto my bike.

This idea has come about for two reasons:
  1. Vanessa told me I have to
  2. See reason one
OK, I half jest. Yes, Vanessa did tell me I have to. However, the real reason 2 is that we went cycling whilst on holiday on Monday and Jamie rode on a child seat behind me (Vanessa said she certainly wasn't having him and instead chose a bike with a basket).

Most importantly, I think he enjoyed himself.

One of the potential flies in tomorrow's plan-shaped bottle of ointment is that I haven't been out on my bike for more than a year and the tyres are currently as flat as two really flat things. Hopefully they will reinflate but, if my past experience of being a White is anything to go by, there's bound to be holes at least one of them.

The next challenge will then be to find a child seat at a reasonable price. The original thought was to ride my bike about four miles to Halford's in Leeds because Vanessa said they fitted child seats for free. But I've now checked and they don't plus they don't seem any cheaper than other outlets anyway.

I therefore intend to pedal the somewhat lesser distance of about a mile to a bike shop in neighbouring Bramley which will hopefully be able to sort me out. But will they fit it for me? Because if they don't, I'm going to have to have a go myself and there's as much chance of me doing that properly as there is of me single-handedly building NASA's replacement for the Space Shuttle.

Still, we'll see how we go.

By the way, when I said I thought Jamie seemed to enjoy his first taste of cycling, I didn't necessarily mean that he hadn't found the whole experience just a little bit tiring.

No comments:

Post a Comment