Tuesday 22 March 2011

Joy and sadness


We're back from Charlotte's maiden voyage to Belfast and I'm delighted to report that got on very well with her Ulster in laws - and them with her. 

However, tragically, our visit was hugely overshadowed by the death on Saturday morning of my Aunt Kathleen after a short illness.

Kathleen - an incredibly kind and generous woman - was 72 and, whilst her passing wasn't unexpected, it was no sadder for this.

Funerals in Northern Ireland take place much more quickly than in Britain and I had originally thought it would be held yesterday before we left. 

But, for logistical reasons, the date was moved back 24 hours to this afternoon, meaning I was unable to make it, although I did visit the house prior to our departure. 

Losing a sister has understandably hit my father very hard.

But the chance to spend some time with his latest granddaughter undoubtedly did some good. 

Normal service will be resumed here tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment