Tuesday 27 November 2012

Home boy

 
Ah yes, my child-free weekend at home.  It couldn't have gone better in truth.  I'll be brief.
 
Friday was simple but fun.  A pub lunch with my dad, a couple of unexpected pints with my old friend Drew (aka DJ Steady) and a steak dinner, wine and more Guinness in the company of my mum and her husband Derek.
 
Then Saturday dawned, and it was off to my old school, Coleraine Inst, to watch the 1st XV stuff Royal School Dungannon.  The fine gentleman you can see below left is my former 1st XV teammate and all-round top man Richard Beggs who is now the coach.  Most surreal.      
 
 
Rugby done and handshakes over, it was time for a ball change and a visit to Coleraine FC where the mighty Bannsiders also won, beating Glentoran 1-0.  Can't be bad to that. 
 

Next up was the obligatory visit to what remains my favourite piece of earth on the planet, The Railway Arms, for some personal abuse and racy chat. More from there tomorrow.


The day finished with a trip to a local Coleraine restaurant to celebrate my dad's birthday.


The off-duty health and safety expert sitting beside me (answers to the name of John Gordon, in case you're wondering) wisely insisted that all 76 candles did not go on the cake.

 
A wonderful day, terrific fun and I'm already counting down the days 'til my next jaunt back.