Tuesday 13 November 2012

What a banker

I've been in complaining mode on here over the past few days, so one more gripe before I cheer up.

I called into my local branch of Santander a couple weeks ago to try to upgrade my cash ISA from which I currently get a whopping return of 0.5%.  I had thought that I would just have to fill out a form, but no.  I had to make a special appointment to see Debbie, which was arranged for 9.30am last Saturday.

I arrived bang on time, but the lovely Debbie decided it was appropriate/professional to leave me sitting until 9.55am.  This did not have a positive impact on my outlook. 

Once in there and after batting off pointless "get to know you" questions, I explained that all I wanted to do was upgrade my ISA and get on with my weekend.  Please.  But again, no.  After lots of questions, the answers to which seemed to be none of her business, she tried to get me to transfer my current account, mortgage, joint account and all the rest to Santander. 

I told her I wasn't going there, and asked if I could possibly upgrade my ISA.

She pursued the current account line.

I asked about my ISA.

She pursued the current account line.

I told her I was getting fed up.  I asked about my ISA.

She pursued the current account line.

I said it was time I was off.

She said Santander didn't have an upgraded version of my cash ISA available any more - i.e. one where you can access the money any time you want - but only had one where your cash is locked in for a year, which I don't want.

I told her so.

She pursued the current account line. 

I left.

I'm not going back, ever.  And I'm taking my piddly little ISA somewhere else.

As I say, I'll have cheered up by tomorrow.  Probably.