Sunday 15 March 2009

Back with a bump (on my head)

It was a poor game but an excellent weekend.

If you don't know, Ireland beat Scotland 22-15 at Murrayfield yesterday. But, of course, the match itself is only a small part of a traditional rugby weekend. The rest revolves around food, good company and too much alcohol.

As the picture above shows, there were five in our little group - Sean and Melanie Fitzpatrick, Wee John and Wee John's South African mate Terence who sorted out the tickets. Terence has lived in Edinburgh for a few years now and picked up a very thick Scottish brogue along the way, hence the nickname of "Jock McTavish" which I assigned to him for yesterday. All in good heart, mind.

John and I arrived on Friday for a night out before getting back to our B&B before the clock struck 12 - very civil, I'm sure you'll agree.

Then, yesterday, we were joined in a bar by Terence plus John's and my old school friend Colin to watch Liverpool stuff Manchester United (which was great because I hate United, John loves them and is also a bad loser) before Colin left and the rest of us hooked up with Sean and Melanie at the ground.

And, after the game, we were joined by another old school mate Rory and a pal of his for a curry before heading into the city for nightcaps - after I had walked into a lamp post, that is. I must stress that I wasn't drunk (not really) but coordination has never been my strength and these things happen. To me.

This morning, it was up and away.

It's only the second time since Jamie was born that I've been away for a night never mind two and it was rather odd. But it was obviously great to see him and his mummy when I got back, particularly as he seemed to like his present.

No comments:

Post a Comment