Tuesday 24 March 2009

Not quite ready to blog off


Some nights I sit here at my desk at home, tapping out this rubbish, and wondering if it's really worth the effort.

I started my first blog last year simply as a means of raising a bit of extra cash for my London Marathon crusade. If you haven't seen the site and have nothing better to do, you can still have a peak at: http://www.runningforseb.blogspot.com/

With the Marathon run and all the money handed over to the charities, I had no intention of continuing a blog. But then, with baby-to-be's due date getting ever closer, I thought it might be fun to have an outlet to talk about what I was going through. And once Jamie was born, I thought I would keep it going for a while longer to chronicle his first few weeks as a little person.

10 months, several hundred pictures and 77,000 words later, the blog has become a well-used source of information and hopefully entertainment for friends and family. And, as it stands, I think I will try to keep it up at least until his birthday in June so I'll have a record of his first full year.

Out of curiosity, I added a hidden web counter a few months ago just to find out how many people were accessing the site and discovered that I was getting around 70 hits a week. But in recent days, after setting up a feed to Facebook, that number has risen quite a bit and, this week, I'm well on course to getting over 200 hits. Not exactly earth shattering numbers, but certainly making it worth the effort from my point of view.

Anyway, on Sunday I spent a few minutes on Google trying to find out what search terms would pick up the site (yep, I was that bored) and had bit of a surreal surprise.

By entering "barry white stuff blog coleraine" (OK, so I might as well have typed in the full site address and many people who don't know me will never have heard of Coleraine but don't spoil my moment) the following link came up: http://www.videosurf.com/barry-white-16773

And when I clicked on to it and scrolled down a bit to "Blog Activity" I found a link to my site.

Sadly, when I tried again earlier this evening, the link to here had gone.

But even if it doesn't return, it helps to know, when I do sit down here at night, that there are some people out there reading this drivel - even if I'm not fat, black or dead.

2 comments:

  1. Do keep up the blogging Barry. It's the first thing we go to each morning to see how you and the family are getting on.

    Malcolm, Dorothy and the rest of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you all - I appreciate that. I'll probably be at it for a long while yet, unless I run out of White Stuff!

    ReplyDelete