Sunday 8 March 2009

Lunch on the go

On a much lighter note, you'll probably remember that famous Jim'll Fix It clip of the boy scouts attempting to eat their lunch whilst riding a rollercoaster. If not, you can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wwPeSDCCAs

Jamie and I had a somewhat similar experience earlier today as we were driven by Vanessa for a nice Sunday lunch with our friends Emily, Mark, Kirsty and Tom in Knaresborough, North Yorkshire.

We had hosted the previous get together before Christmas - although sadly Mark was abroad with work - and today it was the turn of Emily and Mark.

Jamie's sleeping was all over the place this morning so he didn't have his lunch in him by the time we had to leave to travel up. So Vanessa had this bright idea that I got in the back of the car and fed him on the way. It was a bit of a disaster.

To cut a long story short, I had real trouble getting the food into his mouth as every time I tried to shove a spoonful in, a big corner seemed to appear in the road and I either missed his head entirely or splattered the food all over his face.

His lunch was in two courses - a mixed vegetable, well, "mush" was the main, followed by mashed banana. What I did manage to get into his mouth from the first course was quickly thrown back up. And by the time it came to his dessert, I was feeling car sick and Jamie had pretty much given the whole exercise up as a bad job and decided he wasn't playing any more. Let's just say I don't think I'll try the old "lunch-in-the-back-of-a-moving-car" trick again.

We left Emily and Mark's around 5.30pm as Jamie was tired and - unsurprisingly - rather hungry. However, we didn't depart before giving Tom a bit of practice at holding our boy.

He and Kirsty are due to become parents for the first time in July and, if the level of enthusiasm Tom is displaying in this picture is anything to go by, I reckon the two of them will do a wonderful job.

1 comment:

  1. I feel slightly guilty/ responsible for Barry's ill health on Sunday - Barry and Vanessa were following Kirsty and I to Mark and Emily's house and if I had stuck to the main roads rather than taking my long short-cut on the country lanes then Barry might not have felt so ill and Jamie might have eaten his dinner. Sorry guys. Good to see you... ps I need to loose some weight off my gut, looks like I am the pregnant one and not my beautiful wife Kirsty.

    ReplyDelete