Thursday 12 March 2009

Heading north for the battle

I'm almost packed - not that there was much to pack - and ready to make the 200-mile trip up to Edinburgh tomorrow for Scotland v Ireland in the Six Nations rugby.

It'll be the fourth time I've been to Murrayfield for this fixture and a lot has changed in my life since the first expedition back in 1991.

I had a very bad parting in those days, for example. And a rather shocking brown anorak. I was also a student so had no responsibilities but also no money in my pocket.

18 years on and whilst the overdraft is (just about) cleared, the responsibility account is now overflowing - not that I'm complaining about that. And, whilst I'll obviously miss Vanessa and Jamie between tomorrow morning and Sunday when I return, I suppose I'll just have to make the best of it (heh! heh!)

My tiny mate John and I have booked a twin room in a £35-per-night guest house in central Edinburgh called (get this) The Tankard and are due to rendezvous around teatime.

Some food and drink is then planned - sure we might as well - before, on Saturday, we meet up with friends including the infamous Sean and Melanie Fitzpatrick for the game and (guess what) some more food and drink. It all sounds very civilised but be assured it will be anything but. Marvellous.

An Irish victory on Saturday will leave the boys in green just one win over the Welshies away from a Grand Slam which, should it happen, might be worth a little celebration. But let's not tempt fate.

Have a nice couple of days, whatever you're doing, and I'll report back on Sunday - together with photographic illustrations.

PS My prediction - Scotland 9 Ireland 26

PPS I've just tempted fate, haven't I?

PPS What do you call a Scottish woman with one leg? Eileen.

No comments:

Post a Comment