Wednesday 24 February 2010

Another sickly adventure

Another draining but educational 24 hours on the good ship Fatherhood.

When we last "spoke," I mentioned Jamie had been sick on me. However, that little incident has since proven to be a mere hors d'oeuvre.

Because he's barfed on me twice more since then. And I don't just mean little smears on my shoulder, I mean proper BARF!!!(s). Great fun in the wee small hours, I'm sure you appreciate.

He obviously has a bug and, when you have a bug, the advice you're always given is to drink as much as you can get down you. (Coincidentally, I adopt a similar approach myself most weekends, even when I'm well).

But the problem for Jamie is that he's been unable to keep the fluids down - even water.

He was sick a total of five times during the course of last night and, by the time he regurgitated his latest cup of water, Vanessa and I were getting more than a little concerned.

Vanessa contacted NHS Direct just after 7am, phoned the doctor at 8 - she makes all the calls in our house, on account of my "silly" accent - and, by 10.30, Jamie and I were sitting in the waiting room waiting to be seen.

The doctor poked him a bit, he complained a bit, she prescribed some Dioralyte to tackle the dehydration and home we went.

And, having not been able to keep food down since Monday, he suddenly decided he wanted a banana.

The doctor had advised me to keep offering him food and drink, even if they kept reappearing all over my jumper, because he was likely to absorb at least something into his body. So a banana it was.

And, against the odds, he managed to keep it down, together with a few fluid ounces of Dioralyte and two yogurts. Oh, and two chocolate digestives.

The spiral since then has been very definitely upward and hopefully within the next two or three days, he'll be back to his shouty worst... er, best.

Between now and the weekend, I think it might be quite important for Vanessa and I to get some sleep - assuming he decides to have some too.

But can someone please tell me: when does the easy part of being a parent start? It must be sometime soon.

Mustn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment