Tuesday 2 February 2010

Windy has a stiff one

I've never been described as being "up with the kids," but I would like to think of myself as being "down with the babies."

I base this belief purely and simply on my knowledge of modern day baby telly.

Because there's not a babies' TV show on Cbeebies, Nick Jnr or Channel 5 that I'm not an expert in. And, I have to say, that makes me very proud (although I should again remind you that I don't get out much these days).

But I've had to work at it and, I have to admit, Jamie's arrival has played a small part in my knowledge development.

To illustrate, in the early days, I used to make him watch shows like Scooby Doo, Top Cat and Hong Kong Phooey. But he didn't like them very much and either cried or tried to crawl off somewhere. So I did some research, discovered that they now make lots of new shows which cater for little scraps like he then was, and both of us set about becoming connoisseurs.

Thomas The Tank Engine, Roary The Racing Car and Peppa Pig are all shining examples of "modern greats." But they're also incredibly "responsible"/politically correct - which brings me to my point.

Last night, Vanessa and I were wrecked and decided to head off to bed early (don't be mucky). And I did what I always do when I walk into our room - I turned the telly on (ever the romantic).

It was still tuned into Nick Jnr 2, which Jamie had been watching before he went to bed, and they were showing an episode of Camberwick Green as part of their "Nickelodeon Classics" feature for sad parents who don't want to grow up. Like me.

So, as you would, I sat down to find out what was going on. And, essentially, Windy Miller had a mate over. I couldn't quite work out who he was or the nature of his relationship with Windy, but they were clearly very close.

However, at the end of their long day together, Windy did something which almost short-circuited my 2010 modern daddy brain (shut up).

He produced a huge barrel of cider and a glass each for himself and his pal.

And they began to drink heavily.

It was possibly the highlight of my year so far.

And it's true, they really don't make them like they use to - tragically.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your pain. Have gone through '...in the Night Garden', 'Peppa Pig', 'Postman Pat', 'Spongebob Squarepants', 'Charlie and Lola', well the list just goes on.

    Did you know that POstman Pat now has a wife and a kid??? That is just wrong. So wrong.

    ReplyDelete