Monday 22 February 2010

A bit of Brown stuff


I'm a little grumpy tonight.

Jamie hasn't slept beyond 5am for the past three mornings and then today, he's barfed three times and left things in his nappies I never knew existed.

And talking of brown stuff, I see our beloved Prime Minister's heavy squad are up to their old tricks once again.

Having worked in Westminster for six years of the reign of the current Labour Government, I am as aware as anyone else of the stories of Gordon Brown, his temper and his attack dogs.

So I had no problem whatsoever believing the series of articles in yesterday's Observer - which I read from start to finish - detailing what a thoroughly unpleasant man he can be when riled.

And then last night, this Pratt woman from the National Bullying Helpline appeared with her tales of being contacted by Downing Street staff claiming to be victims of bullying in Number 10.

I don't know whether Mrs Pratt is credible or not and I certainly don't think she was right to go public with her claims.

But as soon as she did, it was obvious what Brown's loyal lieutenants would do next - bully the messenger.

The process began almost immediately with malicious briefings against her to political journalists.

And then today, Peter Mandelson - one of the most infamous confirmed liars in British political history - got stuck into her, followed by John "Two Jabs, One Tracey" Prescott.

Goodness knows where Alastair Campbell and Ed Balls were, both of whom normally revel in pouring mud over the heads of those who get in the way of their master. Maybe one or both will pop up on Newsnight tonight.

I have a lot of very good friends in the Labour Party and many of them, I believe, will be appalled by this coordinated firestorm which has rained down both on Andrew Rawnsley, the well-respected author of the original allegations in the Observer, and then Christine Pratt who clearly didn't know what she was letting herself in for when she dared take on the Brown Mafia.

But the efforts of these thugs clearly bring great shame on the individuals involved and, in many ways, do little for the reputation of British politics in general, which could barely sink any lower than at present.

And for this reason (although there are plenty of others), I hope they get their comeuppance when Brown is finally forced to go to the polls a few weeks from now.

Thanks for letting me get that out - I feel better already.

No comments:

Post a Comment