Wednesday 11 November 2009

And you think you're having a bad day


Vanessa's out tonight, I've got beer and steak in and am about to put my feet up in front of the telly and hopefully something involving a ball. But I had to share this with you first.

I was completing the last few steps of my journey to New Pudsey station this morning when - oh, the shock of it - I heard an announcement that my train had been delayed.

So I slowed down to funereal pace because there was clearly no rush. I reached the car park a few seconds later and then turned to walk down the steps onto the platform. But, as I did so, I heard a hissing sound which stopped me in my tracks.

You see, we don't have snakes in Ireland (other than some of the politicians), but they do exist on this side of the water so I'm always on my guard. You just never know.

However, after a very short and - one might say - brave investigation by me, I discovered that the hissing sound was actually coming from the right rear wheel of a car parked at the top of the steps. Closer inspection revealed quite a large shard of glass still stuck in the tyre which had obviously led to a puncture.

My heartbeat now having returned to normal following the realisation that I wasn't about to be eaten by a large, limbless reptile, I felt a few pangs of sympathy for the poor driver who was set for a nasty shock when they arrived back at the station for the final stage of their commute home.

However, being the weak, selfish mortal that I am, I quickly forgot about this unfortunate individual's plight as soon as my train turned up - until I arrived back at New Pudsey station tonight, that is.

I was a little earlier than normal as I had to collect Jamie from nursery. And what I saw was something I'll not forget for some time.

Walking through the car park, I noticed that the driver of the vehicle with the puncture had yet to return and was therefore still to test out their abilities with a jack, wheel nut remover and spare tyre. But, sadly, their plight had worsened considerably in the hours since the puncture was sustained.

For not only did this poor man or woman have a flat tyre lying in wait for them when they returned from their day's toil - they now also had a parking ticket for leaving their vehicle in an unauthorised spot.

Clearly none of my business, but I do hope you'll join me in wishing the nice, responsible traffic warden a really sh*t Christmas for their efforts.

What a ****.

No comments:

Post a Comment