Thursday 15 July 2010

An alternative recollection

First an update on Mothergate. I received another text this morning, she and Derek are in Riga and apparently it looks like York. That's as much as I know.

As for today, I'm not long back from a boozy and always much-anticipated annual 364 Club Lunch at Headingley Carnegie Cricket Ground in Leeds.

Thanks to "The Voice of BBC Radio Nottingham" Colin Slater (left), who has invited me along for the last five years, I had the honour once again of being in the same room as several Yorkshire cricketing greats. Our purpose: to honour the life and achievements of former Yorkshire and England legend Sir Len Hutton.

Also in our little group were Steve Green (right), former Chief Constable of the Nottinghamshire Constabulary, and all-round gentleman.

And, in the middle, (yes, it is really is him), John "John Kettley Is A Weatherman" Kettley - the weatherman.

Plus Other Bloke (second from right), whose name I never quite picked up. But here's the thing.

I talked to Other Bloke for a fair proportion of the afternoon. He was also from Nottingham, was terrific company and fascinating in some of the things he had to say.

But one line stole the show.

Now, bear in mind we were all there to worship at the Sir Len Hutton altar, "possibly the greatest cricketer of all time and certainly the finest gentleman," was the script we were expected to adhere to.

However, Other Bloke was able to provide an alternative perspective.

"I met Len Hutton once, you know," he said. And clearly I didn't, so I asked him to tell me more.

"He had finished playing in a match, I saw him walking out of the pavilion afterwards and I ran over. I was just a young boy and there were just the two of us in the car park," he explained.

"I reached him as he was putting his kit into the boot of his car and I asked him for his autograph."

"And was he nice about it?" I enquired.

"No," replied Other Bloke. "He told me to f*** off, got in his car and drove away."

Other Bloke, whoever you are, I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment