Wednesday 21 July 2010

Northern logic

I've been in my new job exactly a month today and it's very much a case of so far, so good - but very hard work. Still, that's as it should be.

One aspect of my new routine that concerned me a little beforehand was the travel arrangements. However, it's worked out very well.

It is an hour and a quarter there door-to-door and (think about it) another hour and a quarter back, meaning (for you mathematicians out there) a total of 12 and a half hours travelling per week (but particularly me, if you think about it).

However, the key thing is that, so far, the trains have tended to be on time. And I can cope with that. But it's just as well I don't have to travel to Selby.

Let me explain.

My first train of the day is the 0758 service from New Pudsey to Leeds. And, as I say, it generally arrives when it should.

But here's the bit I can't work out (and would swear loudly about, were I bound for Selby).

When the 0758 gets to Leeds, its splits in two; the front half going on to Morecambe at 0819 (stopping off at Keighley where I work), with the back half travelling to Selby at 0815 (in the same direction).

Can you see the flaw in that particular arrangement? No? OK, it's late.

Right, the front half sets off for Morecambe at 0819.

And the back half is due to set off for Selby at 0815 (IN THE SAME DIRECTION). But the back half can't obviously get past the front half, which is sitting only a few centimetres in front after being decoupled.

The result is that each and every morning, the poor Selby commuters don't get to start their journey until 0820 at best i.e. five minutes late. Every single day.

Congratulations to the no doubt really important Northern Rail bloke who made that particular call; he's probably in line for a free mobile phone.

No comments:

Post a Comment