Tuesday 6 July 2010

A rash decision

Chicken pox - now there's a lovely disease for you.

I was one of those particularly "fortunate" individuals who was well into his teens before contracting it, and the memories make me want to wretch even now.

As a result, I have always fully appreciated the arguments put forward by those who say it's best to get it young. However, there does seem something slightly perverse about going out of your way to make your child ill. And that is the dilemma Vanessa and I have wrestled with all day - before deciding to take the easy (albeit expensive) option.

Vanessa's sister Hannah's little boy Oliver now has chicken pox and so the chance exists for Jamie to have a go too - maybe by giving Oliver a hug or a big blokey kiss.

This opportunity would easily present itself on Thursday when Oliver, his little brother Alexander and Jamie all normally go to their Grandma Judy's to be spoilt. But, I mean, he has been a bit under the weather for the last few days in any case, there's a weekend coming up, chicken pox makes you sick as well as ugly and, if I were him, I'd prefer to be out and about feeling good than staying in and feeling lousy and scratchy.

So Mrs W and I have ticked the "stick him into nursery for an extra day on Thursday instead" box in the expectation that he'll have lots more chances to experience the joys of chicken pox in the time to come.

He may thank us for this in the future.

But, equally, he might very well not.

No comments:

Post a Comment