Wednesday 28 July 2010

I feel the need, the need for...er...no dummy

Whilst I might not necessarily be Tom Cruise's biggest fan (although he was very good on Top Gear the other night), I am prepared to concede that he does look a bit on the cool side in the famous shot above nicked from Top Gun.

However, I've been trying very hard to get across to Jamie that he simply cannot expect to look as suave as Mr C if he insists on having his mouth clamped around a dummy.

Vanessa and I have had some success in recent times in detaching him from his silicon friend (they're not made out of rubber any more - did you know that?) But, far too often for our liking, he causes a tantrum until he gets it back and, equally far too often perhaps, we relent.

But we draw the line at letting him have it at nursery because no-one else in his group does (and there's only such much shame and indignity I'm prepared to have heaped upon this family).

The drill therefore tends to be allowing him to have it until we get to the end of the driveway leading up to the nursery door, before yanking it out, letting him scream and then calm down - just in time to reach the threshold.

Until this morning, that is.

I was putting his coat on (him, not me) just as we were about to leave the house when it initially appeared that he was trying to put the dummy into my mouth. But, after a few seconds, he held his hand outstretched and handed it to me before heading for the front door.

Rather than praise him, I quietly slipped it into my pocket, hoisted him up and began the short 200-yard carry to nursery, accompanied by his singing and smiling.

So the question is, has he decided to finally give it up?

Or will be continue to be a baby Maverick, albeit an uncool one with a big dummy (even when I'm not standing beside him)?

I expect we'll have a much better idea tomorrow morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment